This is a two part post! In part one we will look at:
- Why you should not buy a Samsung Galaxy S4 or S3
- Galaxy S4 alternatives that cost less around $300
Well you may think I have gone bonkers but for many Zimbabweans the flagship Samsung phone or Apple or any top phones for that matter are actually overkill for most Zimbabweans.
Why? The Samsungs S4s of this world run on massive computational powers with their Exynos Octa-Cores. With very high pixels per density everyone wants a piece of these gadgets.
However, why am I saying do not buy them? They are overkill. Its like taking an interceptor jet to chase after a thief. You may catch the thief but you wasted cash.
Most Zimbabweans I know just use thier phones to whatsapp, Opera Mini, facebook, sm, make calls and play a few games. I rarely see heavy gamers in Zimbabwe. Besides I have seen quite a miniscule community of people who root their phones.
A dual core phone, or a quad-core phone running on the cheaper MediaTek proccessor will easily do those tasks listed above without issue. So why bleed $900 for a phone which you will use only 10% of its computational power?
Unless if you are a person who gets carried away by marketing gimmick features like the smart-stay, then you may be gullible to fork out the thousand grand.
The other reason is that price is not a reflector of quality. Someone may say since the S4 is going for $900 dollars, then a G-Tel with almost the same specs with the S4 is selling a fake. No far from it!
Below I will list reasons why the S4 is dead expensive:
- Samsung ans Apple of-course is a huge firm which commits billions into R&D and they have to re-coup that cash on phone sales.
- Samsung spends billions on advertising and that too has to be factored into the price of their phones.
- Samsung Apple and HTC have large numbers of employees that have to get huge salaries and that too is thrown into the price of the phone.
- They also have shareholders who need their dividends who wont hesitate to chop off the managers if they fail to get those.
- These flagship phones carry expensive exynos processors, Qualcomm, processors and Snapdragon processors. They also have Coning glass, Gorilla Glass 2, and OLED displays. These are expensive pieces of hardware. However, the MediaTek processor is also fast and good. The Amoled displays are also capable. Its like buying a BMW and a Toyota Corrolla. The BMW can do 220 Km/hr so can the Corrolla. Even though the BMW can do 360 km/hr and takes off from 0-100 km in 6 seconds, do you really need all those features or let alone use them?
Now that I have bashed the flagship phones, so what are to buy? There are lots of capable Chinese phones that you can buy that perform like the Galaxies of this world.
In my next post I will show you alternatives to the Galaxy S4 and all the flagship phones that you can buy that cost less than 300 dollars but have almost the same specs as the Galaxies of this world.