Wechat, the Whatsapp Chinese clone that went on have more than 400 million users (In China mostly) has gained momentum autside of China. The app has made a new record, it now has a seismic 70 million users outside of China.
Not only that, the messaging app has taken on a marketing offensive, hiring Lionel Messi as its brand ambassador in 14 Spanish speaking countries.
Wechats roving eye is also eyeing Africa salaciously with Wechat reps in South Africa. Well we all know that “what South Africa is Today, Africa is tommorrow”
The app has some cool new features. I liked the “shake and find” feature. You just shake your phone and anyone else shaking their phone at that moment is conected to you.
Below is the app description from Google Play Store
Free texting, voice messages, and video calls in your pocket. 300 million people love WeChat because it’s fast, reliable, private, and always on.
• Talk faster on the go with voice messages
• Crystal clear voice and video calls
• Instant messaging with group chats and animated smileys
• Chat with your friends or with people nearby
• Sending photos and videos has never been simpler
• Real walkie talkie mode with up to 40 friends
• Always on, no logouts, never miss a message
• Get message alerts instantly with push notifications
• Share, like, and comment on photos with your friends
• Import contacts and add friends instantly
• Available on Android and all other smartphones, all for free
WeChat works over your phone’s existing data plan or any WiFi connection.
However, whatsapp has ever difiently refused to change. The same Whatsapp has stood its ground when other apps are introducing new features.
The same old whatsapp is still the whatsapp we have today. Astonishingly whatsapp has romped to become messaging app giant with 27 billion messages handled a day.
Maybe people are tired of complex features in phones. Maybe people want that SMS simplicity after all. Maybe SMS is coming back! Maybe we going back to these phones here!(Hell No)
Too many features can kill an app. Make it simple and forge ahead, but will Wechat make inroads into whatsapp territory? You are the ones who have an anser to that!
To download wechat click here